As we transition our wardrobes and slip into our favorite linen dress it's only right that we give our homes the summer upgrade they deserve! I've been working on Elizabeth Shuai for a little over a year now (excuse me, what?!), and I realized I have barely touched the "HOME/DECOR" section of my blog!
Because I am not an actual designer or professional decorator, it is difficult for me to create content related to home and decor, so I thought I would source a helpful article I found recently on the Trumark Homes blog, TruBlu . Scroll down to read the full article! (Also, visit http://trumarkhomes.com for amazing residences in Southern and Northern California!)
"Summer officially arrives on June 21 and what better way to welcome the new season than a mini home makeover? Yes, the word “makeover” can seem a bit intimidating, but rest assured with just a little reorganization and something new, transforming your home into a personal summer retreat will be as easy as tanning poolside, iced tea in hand. (Okay maybe not that easy, but you get the point).
Here are our top 8 summer home essentials that will make you feel like you’re on vacation every time you return home from work.
- Straw baskets: If you feel particularly uninspired to organize the random items thrown about your home, straw baskets are here to save the day! Lidded or baskets like these Lily and Serena ones are the chicest way to neatly store everything from beach towels to kids toys, leaving your home with a sense of calm. Arranging these multipurpose baskets in a corner or throughout your home is a great way to incorporate textural decoration and subtle beach vibes.
- Colorful throw pillows: Refresh your home by adding colorful throw pillows to your couch! This easy fix is a quick way to completely change up your living space for the summer. Pillows are perfect if you’re looking for an inviting area for guests to sit on (as you will host a million fabulous dinner parties from now until Labor Day). Check out these pretty embroidered coral pillows from Pottery Barn!
- Area rug: Statement rugs are a great way to center an open space such as a living room or bedroom, and can help complete your interior look. Light, neutral jute rugs like this are practical and will brighten up any space, but don’t be afraid to experiment with color. It’s summer after all! There are so many adorable, playful area rugs that offer a splash of color without being too overwhelming.
- Linen bedding: Linen is practically synonymous with summer. This light and airy fabric is the perfect bedding option for those uncomfortably warm summer nights. By replacing all your beds with linen sheets you will not only give your home a resort-like aesthetic, but will add a touch of luxury to every bedroom. These high-quality linen bedding sets from Parachute have rave reviews and customers have claimed that they get nicer the more you use them.
- Fun serveware: If you plan on entertaining, or need an excuse to buy something fun, unique serveware like this painted pitcher and serving plate from Anthropologie is a must! Going on the hunt to find the perfect summer serveware or dining sets to show off your personality can be a process, but just think of the extra fun you’ll have presenting fresh summer meals to friends and family.
- Seasonal candles: The calendar year could honestly be divided into candle scents. The smell of pine needles or cinnamon spices invade our homes throughout the fall and winter months, while spring and summer give way to lighter scents of ‘ocean breeze’ or warmer notes of things like deliciously smoky wood. This candle by Clove and Creek called ‘Campfire’ smells like a literal campfire and will fill your home with the sweet memories of roasting marshmallows at sleepaway camp.
- Dish towels: As simple as they are, dish towels hung on the handle of your stove or anywhere really, are such a necessary kitchen accessory. The best part about them? They’re replaceable, so you can have fun finding new ones for every season! Keep it simple and summery with a country home striped tea towel like this, or go crazy with this colorful chambray dish towel.
- Decorative ceramics: Handmade, perfectly imperfect ceramic pieces like this simple ‘flat bowl’ from Felt + Fat are a great accessory for any home. Use a large ceramic bowl (or set of bowls) as a centerpiece for your dining table, or as a place to load all your summer fruit on your kitchen counter. Smaller decorative pieces work beautifully on side tables or by the front door so you can dump your keys in a reliable spot (because you already lost them twice today)."
I hope you enjoyed this article from Trumark Homes! I'd love to know if you'd like to see more of these sort of posts!